Thursday, March 17, 2011

"BACKSLIDER'S CALENDAR"

________________________________________________

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:23-25)

From time to time I hear some non-Christians, and some lazy Christians, who are continually looking for excuses to not come to church Worship Services, say that they can worship God at home, they don't have to go to church, and that the Bible doesn’t say we have to go to church anyway! When people say this, they are showing their ignorance of God’s Holy Word (reference Hebrews 10:23-25)…..The Bible tells Christians plainly that we are to stir up one another to an incitement of love and good deeds as we gather for worshiping Almighty God and Jesus Christ and for the edification of one another!!

To help reveal the ridiculousness of the constant excuses we hear from those who continue to place the importance of coming to Christ's Church at the bottom of their priority list (and possibly help give these people some new excuses), I have included below what is called a “BACKSLIDER'S CALENDAR”....Please read with your sense of humor intact.

__________________________________
> JANUARY – I hereby resolve to start to church this year, but I’ll wait till February; I gotta get over the holidays first because they take so much out of you!

> FEBRUARY – Weather is terrible! I’ll start back to church when it gets a bit warmer; my blood is too thin this time of year.

> MARCH – Lots of sickness at this time and I have got to keep away from all those flu bugs!

> APRIL – IT'S EASTER! BIG CROWDS! I can't stand being in crowds! They won’t miss me anyway.

> MAY – I’ve been holed up all winter and now that the weather is getting pretty, it’s time to hold reunions, work in the flower bed, and mow the grass!

> JUNE – I’ll wait till the baby is older; how on earth do some folks take their few week old babies to church and then never miss Sunday worship?! Weekend trips to relatives are more important anyway, since they haven't seen the baby yet!

> JULY – WOW! The heat is terrific! The A/C in church gives me the chills; anyway, we have that cabin, camper, or boat reserved for the weekends.

> AUGUST – Preacher’s on vacation and he’ll never know if I miss church; I never liked those guest preachers anyway. But when he gets back, I promise I'll start back!

> SEPTEMBER – School’s started and things are too busy and the kids are too tired. Anyway, it's my last chance for yard work and to do house repair.

> OCTOBER – Leaves are so beautiful! I can worship God outdoors anyhow!!

> NOVEMBER – THANKSGIVING! Time for family! Getting colder! Can’t stand crowded warm church buildings!

> DECEMBER – CHRISTMAS! This time of the year belongs to the kids, therefore we can't expect them to have to go to church; just don’t have time for church now! Roads are bad anyway! I will resolve to start back to church next year!
______________________________________

Another thought --- too many times we hear others say, “I don’t have to be in church to be a Christian!”....And quickly we agree without thinking about exactly what was said.

Yes --- we do NOT have to be in church to be saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ! But according to The Word of God, the very definition of a “Christian” is to be a “CHRIST FOLLOWER” or a “LITTLE CHRIST”, therefore if we “act like” and “follow” Him, we WILL be in church! For Jesus was found to be in the Synagogue every opportunity He had!

THEREFORE AS “LITTLE CHRISTS”, SHOULDN’T WE ALSO BE FOUND IN CHURCH FOLLOWING HIM EVERY OPPORTUNITY WE HAVE??!!??!!

_________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment